For as long as I could remember as a child and my adult life I saw a set of tractor lights off of the old 8N Ford tractor my grandpa had sitting in the pole building. Now many years after his passing cleaning out the space I came across the lights again and decided to bring them back to life. While their lens and general shape doesn’t speak to me they do have a dated look to them. After buying a vintage RCA television cabinet re-purposed as a liquor cabinet I decided these would be a fitting light source. The housings were very rusty for years of sitting and the sealed beam was very much no longer sealed (6 volt GE incandescent originally) so I cleaned up the lights with some steel wool to get rid of the tetanus looking rust. After I sealed them with a glossy finish to preserve their state of decomposition.
I knew I wanted a warm tone for this application with a wide beam since the end application was a small space. I used an Osram Oslon LED that was originally going to be used for a flashlight modification but due to the very sad lumens per watt it was not an ideal candidate unless I wanted to mimic a AAA mini-mag. The CCT comes in around 3000K at about 95CRI. Due to the lack of great thermal interface to the case I limited the current to 700mA which is just a few hundred lumens from this package. Then again given the small space and desired look I didn’t want a small sun’s worth of light in there anyways. Using s wide frosted optic I made a very wide bean (very unlike the beam pattern this lamp was born with).
After getting the guts squared away, and yes currently a 12v SLA is powering the setup, I set off to install the fixture meant to live in a tractor into the wooden cabinet. Turns out a tractor has more free space for things like this than an old TV cabinet so it looks a little funny in the space but so be it, no turning back now.
I’m not sure if I’ll use the second lamp for the lower shelf or if I will just do a light source that isn’t visible unless you look under the shelf. One thing is for sure, the CCT will have to match otherwise it will clash. Updates to come as the project evolves.